Better Learners! Happier Kids!
At Ss Peter & Paul’s we believe parent involvement is a key to success for all learners.
Children whose parents are involved in school:
- perform better at school
- settle better into school programs
- feel valued and important because their parents are taking an interest in their lives
- develop positive social skills by watching parents and school staff interact respectfully
- experience better social, physical and emotional wellbeing.
We are proud of the strong sense of community and partnership that we establish and foster with all our families and we are committed to providing opportunities for families to be involved in a multitude of ways.
Ss Peter & Paul’s School Advisory Board
The School Advisory Board Meets on a monthly basis to discuss school initiatives and activities. As representatives of parents, the group encourages co-operation in the Parish and School communities by fostering open and constructive discussion that challenges and supports all school issues.
To achieve this the board:
- Welcomes and respects new ideas
- Identifies the needs of parents
- Liaises with Parish and School groups and
- Invites active participation in School and Parish life
The Annual General Meeting of the Board is held in March each year. Membership of the board is by nomination and is open to any interested parent of a student at Ss Peter & Paul’s School
Community Engagement Group
Our Community Engagement Group meet once a term to initiate and discuss ways to link student learning with the local and wider community. We are fortunate to have parents who work with the school to connect with businesses, organisations and facilities to provide our students with learning experiences that take them beyond the walls of their classroom.
Some examples of their work so far includes:
- Attracting sponsorship for the rejuvenation of the vegetable garden through Bunnings, Yates and Diggers Seeds
- Sourcing microscopes through Rotary
- Partnering with Manningham Council to establish a Chess Club, with elderly residents from the community playing Chess with students
- Science Week grant to run a Science Day for the whole school with activities being run by our ‘scientific parents’
- Woolworths Junior Landcare grant to build and harvest a bush tucker garden in the school grounds
- Weekly Hobbies and Games Club
The events committee was formed to plan out a strategic approach to arrange for fun and community-building experiences for our school community. They are not fund-raising events for the school.
Some events planned for this year are:
Mothers’ Day Breakfast
Wine and Cheese night for parents
Family outdoor cinema night
Other events are organised also, such as a hot-cross bun drive, special lunch days for footy etc.
Together, our parents are working to enhance the learning environment of all of our children, making their primary years even more fun and memorable.
We understand that parental involvement varies from family to family. If parents have an opportunity to offer time and energy to contribute to some aspect of this part of school life, they might like to join in and get involved. Our class rep system is regularly calling for volunteers for various projects.
Parents & Friends
Some of the Parents & Friends activities include:
- Uniform Shop (Email: email@example.com)
- 2nd Hand Uniform Shop
- Fun Food Days
- Free Dress Days
- Family Events
- Scholastic Book Club
- Annual Bunning’s BBQ’s
- Year 6 Icy Pole Program
- Loyalty Programs (e.g. Woollies Earn and Learn)